Wednesday 6 July 2011

20mm Omaha beach

This is the first of an on going series of posts following the progress of various projects I am working on.
I have been asked to make an 8foot x 4 foot table of part of Omaha beach, as illustrated in Colin Rumford's Rapid Fire Normandy supplement.

photo of drawing from Rapid fire supplement
The customer has a beach cloth so wants me to model from the shingles running along the base of the cliff (the dotted line running along the bottom of the above drawing).
We had to decide on the profile of the table as I have made 595mm x 595mm wooden carcasses that have this profile cut into them. Each board then has a very clean and tough edge and makes butting them up very easy.
After a bit of discussion we decided on the following profile

profile of table- left hand side is the beach
This profile is the same on all the boards so I have to add the D1 and D3 draws in the middle of the left and right sided boards.
Once I get the carcasses I will fill them with polystyrene and then shape that once it has had time to dry.
More details on that in the next couple of weeks.
The last job that can be done at this stage is to buy the large number of bunkers and weapons pits that are needed. These are from Ravensthorpe Miniatures and Sud Modelisme



Once I have the carcasses and start adding the polystyrene we can decide exactly where these bunkers will go so until I get them in about 5 days time that is as far as I can go with this project. More will follow next week if all goes to plan.

1 comment:

  1. I look forward to seeing this project completed. Looks exciting.

    ReplyDelete